This is by far my favorite dish to make when we have guest. It’s always delicious, and I have yet to find a friend that didn’t like it. The best part – its so easy to make! Its marinated chicken stuffed with cream cheese and jalapenos, and wrapped in bacon. I’ve heard it called a number of things, and seen a variety of recipe variations. I’m not even sure where my mom got the original recipe.
- Block of Cream Cheese
- Chicken Breast
- Jalapenos diced (I prefer diced, but you can use slices)
- Zesty Italian Dressing
- Marinate chicken in Italian dressing for at least one hour, or overnight.
- Lay chicken breast flat, cut a slice down center.
- Stuff with cream cheese (1/8 of block or more, depending on your love of cheese)
- Sprinkle on some jalapeno slices
- Roll the chicken
- Wrap 1-2 pieces of bacon around chicken
- Stick a toothpick (or two) through it.
- Bake 350 until done (approx 45min). OR grill
The bigger the breast, the longer they take. You can pound them down thinner. Or slice them in half. If they are sliced in half, you do not need to cut the slit in the center to stuff them.
Not a fan of jalapenos? Leave them out, eat around them, or use a flavored cream cheese (chive & onion anyone?). Don’t have cream cheese on hand – replace it with pepper jack. You can also substitute the Italian dressing with a cilantro lime or some other variety. Use your imagination.